Thursday, February 10, 2011

SCANDAL!

The Call to Action
Photo
Romeo and Juliet 
Via Cappello, 23, 37121 Verona, Italy


Yeah, this is not Juliet's house. In fact, Romeo and Juliet is a work of fiction, in case you didn't know. Yet thousands of tourists come to this little house in Verona every year to be fooled by this fake built in the early twentieth century. I Google Earthed Verona so that I could fulfill my geography goals, and this bugger came up. Though I was appalled that people were taking advantage of uneducated tourists, the claim peaked my curiosity over whether the feuding families existed at all.


The Research
According to Olin H. Moore, the two families did not exist at all. The Italian equivalents are nicknames for two very different political parties in Verona. His source is Rolandino's work, a Paduan notary in thirteenth century Italy. Of course, this statement is clearly based on material that might be flawed, and there are plenty of critics that romantically claim the families existed and left evidence. This is all speculation, of course.


That's Right
If you go to Verona, I suggest boycotting this place, unless you are into the whole unauthentic landmark thing. However, it looks like a pretty spot, and there is a golden statue of Juliet in the courtyard. Is it worth it? I will leave that to you.


To More Pressing Matters

Romeo and Juliet is coming along. After "Measure for Measure" it is a breath of fresh air. I know Measure is a problem play, but I just did not find any character I could latch onto as I did with Richard, Hamlet, Laertes, Mercutio, and Benvolio. I am trying to read out loud, but I think I might be reduced to taking silent notes soon, since my voice is beginning to annoy me. Although, I might try reading to my unborn child, if my wife lets me. You know, get him started on the classics early.


Sources
Moore, Olin H. (July 1930). "The Origins of the Legend of Romeo and Juliet in Italy"Speculum (Medieval Academy of America) 5 (3): 264–277. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment