Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Sleep is a Dream

This is my third late night in a row, and the exhaustion is taking its tole. I fell asleep at work for the first time, and I think my brain is working at half its normal speed. Regardless, I shall report on my preparation/research for the remaining acts of Hamlet, and expose some foreign treatment of this classic.

While attempting to get a visual of Denmark in Hamlet's time, I realized I could not point Denmark out on a map, and I knew next to nothing about the origin of Hamlet's abode. I set out to rectify this using Denmark's official website. Since the nation is a giant pan handle right next to Sweden and Norway, it took did not surprise me that Vikings were the key players in Denmark's genesis. One thing that did surprise me was the Christian conversion of the Vikings as early as the mid 800's. After watching "How to Train Your Dragon" and the latest version of King Arthur, I did not suspect any Christian vikings until at least the 1500's. Funny enough, a missionary named Poppo converted the famous Viking Harold Bluetooth around the thirteenth century.

Feeling a tad over prepared, I began to read the last two Acts out loud to my cat. She seemed intrigued, especially when I acted out the duel with her (given that a few thrusts and parries were replaced with pats and belly scratches... shut-up, its late). I am used to delivering Old English to people who have no idea what I am saying, so reading to the cat actually felt familiar.

Now, onto the fun part. I am a fan of some manga and anime series (Japanese comic books and cartoons for you noobs), so I began looking for any Shakespeare mangas or animes. Though I did not intend to find anything worthy of exploitation, worthiness abounded EVERYWHERE. When I get to Romeo and Juliet, there will be even more of a treat.

Though there are some fine interpretations of Shakespeare's work into graphic novels, this piece did not bring home the bacon for me.

The authors followed the script for the most part. This summary explains that the time for this abomination is set in the future, 2017, not after an apocalyptic, world shattering event or anything exciting like that, but after the world has been severely damaged from the... weather. A cyber world has replaced the old one. I assume this is the justification for Hamlet's blue, pasty skin and white hair. I think he might be a vampire, but I am not positive.

So, what does this addition to the Shakespeare collection give away about society? To be nice, I will give the Japanese credit for attempting to educate their youth on a European master. The fact that a foreign nation can take Hamlet and translate it into something their youth would enjoy with few changes shows that the story is universal, and the subjects of revenge and hesitation are always enjoyable.

However, I feel the time is a bit forced. I could understand changing the accepted look of Hamlet by giving him the huge anime eyes and such, but placing the story in a "cyber world" in order to give everyone creepy costumes does not cut it for me. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING? On top of that, the free sample of the final duel showed actual rapiers. REALLY!? What is the point of ruining the setting if the swords don't become lightsabers? On top of that, Hamlet looks like an even bigger idiot when he rejects the first opportunity he has to kill Claudius without an official explanation! They took lines 73 to 88 in Act 3 Scene 3 out! Though the culture might not grasp the European concepts of sin and hell, they could have at least had Claudius meditating and Hamlet hesitant because he did not want to help him on his way to enlightenment. Even this offensive translation would have been better than manga Hamlet saying, "no" and stalking out of the room. This just infuriates me. Hamlet does not need to look even more indecisive than Shakespeare meant him to.

Well, that is enough for one night. I am not sure if this counts as a substantial post, or if my trivia on Denmark counts as research, but I could currently care less because I am REALLY tired.